The Fleur + Forage apprenticeship is a combination of herbal education and community healthcare. For 2022-2023, the apprenticeship is a 12 month commitment. By the end of those 12 months, apprentices will have learned how to prepare a wide variety of herbal remedies, worked on the herb cart as apothekers and/or clinicians, and know how to maintain and stock a mobile apothecary.
You must already have a solid foundation in western herbal medicine, this is not an academic program, including some basic medicine making skills and materia medica. An understanding of herbal energetics is also encouraged. Apprentices are also required to complete a First Aid/CPR training before the start of the program.
There is currently 1 spot available for the apprenticeship program, starting on September 22nd 2022. The commitment is 1 year. We meet on Thursdays from 10AM-5PM, except for the last Thursday of the month where we meet from 8:30AM-3PM..
Current Schedule and Apprenticeship Responsibilities:
- The main apprenticeship work day is Thursdays (10am – 5pm) at the Fleur + Forage space. On those days, apprentices learn skills such as apothecary maintenance, medicine making, and community clinic management.
- Four times this year, we offer an Edible + Medicinal Plant Ramble through a different park in the Atlanta area. The Rambles raise funds for the Free Clinic.
- The last Thursday of each month (apprentices are needed from 8:30AM-5PM) we offer a pop-up free clinic. This is where the apprentices work as hosts, apothekers and eventually clinicians.
- Apprentices will also assist with other activities scattered throughout the year– such as with fundraisers, our seasonal hydrosol distillations and the seasonal Medicine Making Workshops.
- Attend the Herb Cart training on October 21st-23rd 2022 .
During your time with the Free Clinic you will learn the ins and out of herbal medicine making, wash lots of bottles, label, file paperwork, garden, wildcraft herbal medicine, be a teaching assistant, be trained to be an apothecary dispenser and a clinician, do computer work, and schlep supplies among many other things.Please make sure that you can commit to 12 months before applying.
Apprentices are required to attend all Thursdays each month as well as assist at the classes and workshops we offer throughout the year. Plant Rambles, distillations and medicine making classes will each take place quarterly in 2022.
Once your application has been reviewed, you will be contacted for a follow-up interview. These interviews will take place either in person or via Zoom.
Important! By joining the apprentice program you acknowledge you are committed and dedicated to community herbalism. Apprentices are to attend every Thursday from the time the apprenticeship starts (September 22nd) for a period of 12 months, unless extenuating circumstances arise. Apprentices are also required to assist and attend medicine making and plant ramble classes outside of our regular Thursday meetings, as part of your learning curriculum. While this apprenticeship is intended to be fun and enjoyable, it also requires a serious commitment. If you are uncertain about your ability to fulfill the commitment, or the schedule does not fit your availability please do not apply. Offering community healthcare is a wonderful thing and I look forward to sharing that experience with people that share the same values.
Fill it out and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with 2 letters of recommendations. The deadline to send your application in is September 12th.
The Herb Cart training will take place on October 21st-23rd 2022.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me email@example.com